Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bed Frame Makeover

Hadley was in need of a bigger bed, so I kept an eye out on Freecycle and came across this bed frame. Then I found a boxspring also on Freecycle. I just needed a mattress, so I put a want ad on kijiji and someone gave us one for free! I love free!

Here's the bedframe before:




I sanded it a bit and then painted it antique white. Then I sanded the edges and a few scuffs, and then antiqued it with walnut stain. I just grabbed a rag and put a tiny bit of stain on it and carefully rubbed it on the sanded areas. It's kind of hard to tell the difference in the pictures.

Here's the after:

Hadley LOVES her new bed. Next on the list: paint her dresser and side table the same colour, and make her a duvet cover and bedskirt! Fun, fun!

8 comments:

Jodie said...

Nice work Megs! I love it!

Francis Family said...

what the heck is freecycle, I think I need to hear about this. This is the exact project i'm looking for, for Kyla's bed she doesn't have yet! Looks great!

Unknown said...

Freecycle is a yahoo group where people exchange free stuff. There are groups all over. Check it out here: http://www.freecycle.org/

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

I am so impressed.
You are taking resourceful to a new level - again, I'm so impressed! It looks fabulous.

Laura said...

Wow that is so cute! I have a bed spread you can have that is quite nice. Brianne is really ticked(she really loves her bed and is convinced we won't find anything as cool), but we are getting a queen bed for her, and so she will need some new bed linens. The comforter would match Hadley's name sign, It also has a sham and bedskirt. Mom could bring it to home for you when she comes in October? It is a dry clean only thing so you would still need something for Hadley to actually sleep with. Let me know. I could take a picture so you could see.

Jaron said...

Awesome! I LOVE free stuff that you can make your own! I always get so much satisfaction when a furniture project is done. It reminds me about Elder Uchtdorf's talk from a few years back on our need to create. Nice work, Megan!

Melanie said...

So pretty. You really have a knack for making your place look so nice.

cool dog beds said...

I have been checking out a few of your article stories and I must say pretty clever stuff. I will definitely bookmark your blog. Thank you very much.