Friday, October 7, 2011

fake ideals

My brother posted a link to this video on our family facebook group and asked us for our thoughts. It's about the portrayal of women in the media and how it affects us. I thought it was very interesting and made me think a lot about how I feel about myself and my appearance. There are two parts to the video and it's about 40min total - definitely worth the watch.









This portrayal of women is everywhere. It really is impossible to escape. While watching this, I was reminded how happy I am that we don't have tv - we just have netflix. I'm by no means anti-tv, but I am grateful that we don't have commercials playing in our home every day. Too bad we can't just live in a bubble.  

I might write more about my thoughts on this later......it's late and my brain isn't working.

For those of you with working brains, what are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Thanks for sharing this Megan! I really liked how she spoke about femininity. It is so true that "being feminine" is down played in society, and related to weakness. If more of today's women (and even our men) showed more compassion, sensitivity and love, how different would the modern family be. I also was reminded and this quote form James E. Faust:

"Femininity is not just lipstick, stylish hairdos, and trendy clothes. It is the divine adornment of humanity. It finds expression in your qualities of your capacity to love, your spirituality, delicacy, radiance, sensitivity, creativity, charm, graciousness, gentleness, dignity, and quiet strength. It is manifest differently in each girl or woman, but each of you possesses it. Femininity is part of your inner beauty."

We too don't have TV in our home, nor do we buy magazines. I am a strong supporter of a commercial free childhood.

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

So, this is a topic I'm passionate about. My BMI is 28.9. That puts me at the high end of overweight, just 2 points shy of obese. Obese? Really? That does a number on my self-esteem. I run anywhere from 10-14 miles a week. I (mostly) eat healthy and my family eats healthy. I will never be 120 lbs. Yet, I'm made to feel like I'm not good enough. Tyler and I were just talking about maybe we should get rid of our satellite/tv because of all the crap in the commercials. I would never want Brenna to feel like she's not good enough. I know you feel the same way with hadley. Thanks for sharing Megan. I think this would be an excellent Parent Pre-school class. What do you think?